Thursday, August 5, 2010

Good Night A Livin'!

Good Night A Livin'! That's one of my favorite "Southernisms". You know, those adorable little sayings that they only use in the South. That ism is used after seeing or doing something of particular interest. For example: Good Night A Livin', how did that woman have 19 children, and her uterus didn't fall out! And then theres the way they say the seasons. It's "Fall of the Year". Not just "In the Fall", but "In the Fall of the Year". I have an older Southern friend who likes to eat the "long leg" of the chicken...I'm still not sure what the "short" leg is? There are many of these Southernisms, and I am proud to have picked up some of them. I am from the North, and our speech isn't nearly as colorful. Northerners tend to get right to the point, which Southerners perceive as rude. In the South we also call everyone Sugar, and Honey. Which, I have found, is considered rude by the Northerners. Some would say that the Southerners sound uneduacated in the way they talk, and to that I would say: We may sound dumb, but we are some of the happiest, funniest, and most friendly people in the world. And I am glad to have such wonderful characters to add to the richness, and flavor of the story that is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment